31 Oct 2014

new knitting project in progress: a baby blanket



Here it is, my latest knitting project: a woolen baby blanket. After a few quick baby garments with more than 150 stitches in width the progress is rather slow, although I'm already around 1/3rd now I think. This time I use another, for me new drops yarn, the 'Karisma'. It comes in a lot of different colors, I choose a pretty light blue-grey hue (nr.70) It is a 4-strands, sport weight, superwash-treated, 100% wool yarn, which could go into the washing machine.
This yarn doesn't have the softness of the baby merino but it is certainly not as 'itchy' as a regular woolen yarn would be. I'm planning to make a soft cotton back for the blanket anyway.


According to the reviews on ravelry garments knitted with this yarn tend to 'grow' after washing. I know this occurs often when a garment is knitted loosely and never experienced it with my garments knitted with drops baby merino yarn. (note: I never wash my knitted garments in the washing machine)
I use metric size 4 needles as suggested on the packaging and I'm happy with the texture right now, although it is not as tight as I really, really prefer. Next time I'm going to use metric size 3.5 needles.
I'm still planning to knit a small test-square to see how this blanket behaves when washed in the washing machine before deciding on the final length. Just in case any lengthwise stretching occurs. (I keep you posted on that)
Otherwise I'm aiming at a size of 70x100 cm (approx. 27 1/2 x 39 1/2 in) which I can use for the stroller in the spring.


The pattern is free-hand, inspired by pictures I came across on the internet. First I wanted a blanket with a more intricate pattern, but then decided that the graphic squares in stotcking-stitch with the garter-stitch rasters would look much cleaner and would also be easier to knit, since every other row is plain knitting. Plus, it has a bit of a retro-feel to it, which I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment