15 Sept 2014

1966 baby cardigan finished + the pattern!




So here it is, a baby cardigan worked from a vintage pattern. It's not quite finished yet, still have to block it and find the right buttons.
The patten is very straight forward and haven't find any errors. It is also a fast knit, when knitting in the evenings you should be ready in just one week.
I love the raglan sleeves! Although there are not many patterns using raglan sleeves, the fit seems to me always better. Maybe, because there is no well-defined shoulder line, which makes the sizing forgiving. I think it is a great basic pattern which you can adjust - knitting plain or adding stripes, motifs, or a cable pattern if you like.

main pattern:

Hard to spot if you look at the original picture, but here you can see the moss-stitch border along the yoke which is knitted in stocking stitch:


close-up of the raglan yoke, this could be knitted in one piece as well:


The pattern instructs to knit the K stitches of the ribbing t.b.l., which means through the back loop. This makes decorative turned stitches, and also a tighter finish which I only used on the neck ribbing:


material & sizing:
I used my trusted Drops baby merino yarn in the color light beige. I used 130 gramms of wool, which is just a bit more than 2.5 skeins. My tension was 28 sts to 10 cm,which is approximately the same as the suggested tension of 8 sts to 1 inch.
The finished measurements came out just a tad larger than the original:
chest (underarm circumference): 56 cm (=22 in)
length: 28 cm (=11 in)

changes I made:
  • ribbing:
I used 12 rows for the ribbing at front and back and just 10 rows at the sleeves.
  • buttonholes:
I found the buttonhole with just 1 sts too small so used 2 sts (3 sts at edge, cast off 2, remains 1, and in the next row knit 1 st, cast on 2 sts and knit the remaining 3 sts (all in moss stitch)

pattern notes & tips:
  • place remaining sts of back on holder
I didn't cast off after the last row of the back but have put sts on a stitch-holder instead. Why should you cast off only to pick up the same stitches later?
  • placing buttonholes:
Rows 6 - 25 - 44 - 63 - 82 and the last one as instructed at neckband
  • sleeves:
You need to increase 5 sts in the first row after the ribbing. Here is how I did it:
K4, inc, *K7, inc* repeat ** 3 more times, K3

the pattern:
You find the pattern HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment